Monday, October 15, 2012

Why I'll Never Be Intimidating

In the gym today were two people I really look up to. John Wells, the personal trainer who has given me so much advice (and who also has some movies out and coming out very soon. Check him out on www.imdb.com ) and RJ Graziul who is a friend of mine and has also been unbelievably helpful in my entire working out process. Both of these guys have been there basically since the beginning when I was 250 pounds and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. All that to say they mean a lot to me and whenever they're around, I'm extremely intimidated. If you've read the blog before, you've probably seen their names pop up at some point, as this is definitely not the first time I've mentioned them, but I try to look cooler and lift heavier weight when they're around. (And RJ will deny it, but I can lift more weight with my triceps than he can. My triceps will always be better than his triceps!)

Anyway...
Today I talked to both of them and told them my real goal is to be intimidating. I want to walk into a room and people see me and say, "I would never mess with that guy." But there is one problem. I smile way too much.

In the gym today, I was dancing and smiling and John walked up to me and re-explained that I will never be intimidating if I continue that behavior. My response was, "I can't help it". And I really can't. Why? Because I realize how blessed my life actually is. It has only been very recently that I've really discovered how blessed I really am. But now that I realize it, I can't stop smiling.

For me, the hardest part in life is losing people. However, there have been so many of you who have proven to me that you will never, ever leave me. Thank you so much for being a blessing in my life. You will never know what your support and kind words have meant to me over the years. And today, I can proudly stand up and say that I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am never alone. I can always smile and I will always have someone to smile with me. No matter how many people walk out of my life, no matter how many people try to bring me down, I will always have a reason to smile. Thank you so much to everyone who has put a smile on my face in my 23 years of life. You are a blessing.

So I may never be intimidating, but that's okay because I don't want to scare off anyone who might want to be a friend. That's what I'm thankful for today - friendships. I used to think I didn't really have any, but now I know that I'm surrounded by all sorts of people who love and support me and are great friends. Thanks for letting me have a lot to smile about.

Find something to be thankful for today. I know thanksgiving is still over a month away, but that doesn't have to be the only time we thank God for all the amazing things He does with and for us. Praise Him for who He is and for what He does. Praise Him for having reasons to smile.

"The LORD is my strength and shield.
I trust him with all my heart.
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.
I burst out in songs of thanksgiving." (Psalm 28:7 NLT)

Workout:
Today began the new workout routine. Thanks to Derek (my medical expert) who designed this program for me. This is a "push" day. That means all of the exercises I did today have the most emphasis on a pushing motion. Tomorrow will be a "pull" day where the exercises will have the most emphasis on a pulling motion.

I did three sets of each exercise and then the number of reps I did for each exercise is listed after the "3x". This means 3 sets of _____ reps. I rested for 90 seconds between sets and then a bit longer between exercises. The weight listed is the highest weight I used on each exercise, which is also the weight used on the third set of the exercise because I increase weight (at least slightly) every set. Hope all of that makes sense!

Squats 3x8 - 300 pounds
Split squats 3x8 - 60 pound dumbbells
Barbell shoulder press 3x8 - 100 pounds
Bench press 3x8 - 190 pounds
DB lateral raises 3x8 - 30 pound dumbbells
Plate chest press 3x15 -  On the third set I repped 135 pounds 11 times and then removed one 45 pound weight to finish out the remaining 4 reps with 90 pounds.
Front raise 3x8 - 25 pound dumbbells
Crunches 3x30 (This was the hardest part of the workout!)

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. Cruise by Florida Georgia Line (If you don't have this song, get it now!)
2. Somewhere in Neverland by All Time Low (Recommended by Jacob Sword. It is a great pump up song with a good beat and rhythm. Check it out!)
3. Live While We're Young by One Direction (I think I'm more embarrassed by this song than I am of any Justin Bieber song making the list. But what can I say? It worked for me.)

Smile big!
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment