Friday, October 26, 2012

Intimidating

I had my first real moment of intimidation today. There were some kids who came in the gym and were laughing at me because I was playing air guitar. Immediately I wanted to make these guys understand that I was intimidating. I stared them down as they walked down the ramp into the weights area. When they got to the bottom, they shot me another look. This time, it wasn't of laughter. It was a look of "Maybe we shouldn't have laughed at that guy."

I decided to mess with them a little more. So as they lifted weights, I walked around their area, still dancing and playing air guitar - making them guess what my next move would be. One of them began to do an overhead triceps extension with a 30 pound weight. I can do that exercise with a 100 pound weight, so I went for it. I looked at one of them with a smirk and said, "Hey, are you using this bench?" He looked back and said, "No...uh, no sir."

I sat down, lifted the 100 pound weight above my head and completed the exercise. The whole time, those guys were trying to pretend they weren't watching, but they were. And they talked about it. And they were intimidated. I felt like an absolute boss.

The thing I forgot to mention...these two guys...they're freshmen in high school.

Of course they were intimidated. I'm 10 years older than they are. Even if I wasn't strong, they would be intimidated. It is really nothing to be proud of.

In life, there are certain things it makes sense to be afraid of. Things like poisonous snakes, spiders, being stabbed, sharks, falling off a trampoline, or evil leprechauns. Those things make sense. (Well, at least most of them. I asked my youth some things that it makes sense to be afraid of. Some of those things were from their list. Try to guess which ones. Haha.)

But there are some things it does not make sense to be afraid of. Things like failure, defeat, depression, or even the fear of tomorrow. Those things don't make sense to be afraid of.

Read this very carefully...God never meant for us to be afraid. He wants us to live boldly and courageously. Why? Because He's right there with us. What is there to fear if He's got our back?

Fear not!

"What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?" (Romans 8:31 NLT)

"But in that coming day
no weapon turned against you will succeed.
You will silence every voice
raised up to accuse you.
These benefits are enjoyed by the servants of the LORD;
their vindication will come from me.
I, the LORD, have spoken!" (Isaiah 54:17 NLT)

Workout:
4x10 for everything.
Dead lift - 205 pounds
Stiff leg dead lift - 165 pounds
Power shrugs - 120 pounds
DB rows (each arm) - 65 pound dumbbell
Lat pull down - 105 pounds
Reverse flys - 15 pound dumbbells
Dumbbell curls - 40 pound dumbbells

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. One Thing Remains by Kristian Stanfill (his version)
2. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
3. In My Head cover by Mayday Parade

Till next time...don't be scurrrred
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment