Sunday, October 28, 2012

Intimidation Part Deux: Pride Cometh Before a Fall

Today is what I would call a semi-rest day. I didn't do any heavy lifting, but I did do a complete upper-body TRX band workout. It was a great one, and I took along a friend of mine. We were working hard, doing three sets of maximum reps of every exercise we did. We worked our entire upper bodies. Shoulders, biceps, triceps, back, chest, and abs. I was feeling so great. Especially because I was killing my friend at every exercise we did.

It didn't matter what we did. I was just doing better than he was. I felt amazing and kept making fun of him. He was taking it well and wasn't really saying anything back to me as I taunted him. There was even a time when he flipped off the band and landed on the ground. At that point, I lost it. I laughed at him and just reminded him again of who was winning at everything. He just picked himself up and finished his set, remaining quiet.

We had worked our shoulders, biceps, triceps, back and chest. Finally, it was time for abs. I schooled him on what we would be doing and demonstrated with my first set. He got into position and started his reps, but I was surprised when he passed up my number of reps and kept on going. Not only did he keep on, but he did nearly twice as many reps of the ab exercise as I did. I shrugged it off here as a bad set and went to work on my second set. I wasn't able to do as many reps as his first set, but I figured he would be tired and wouldn't be able to reach the same number again. I was wrong. He again killed me, doing ten more reps than I did. On the final set, he did twice as many as his first set (40 reps) and that's nearly twice as many as my final set (21 reps).

The other day I told you how intimidating I was, but that it was to a group of freshman guys. What I haven't told you yet about this friend I took to the gym is that he's actually one of my students named John. He is also a freshman in high school and he kicked my butt when it came to abs.

It's okay to be comfortable and excited when things are going well, but to be prideful is something different entirely. To be prideful means to say that you are untouchable or you are better than someone else. Beware of being prideful! As soon as we start talking big, we are incredibly susceptible to being brought down. Watch out and remember that in the blink of an eye, a freshman in high school can remind you that pride comes right before a fall.

"Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18 NLT)

Workout:
Max reps of three sets of each of the following exercises on the TRX band.

Back Flies
Shoulder Front Raises
Bicep Curls
Tricep Extensions
Push Ups
Rows
In and Outs
Upside Down Ab Hold

Best Songs of the Workout:
I didn't listen to any music during the workout since John was with me. Check back next time for more good music.

Thanks for reading. Stay classy.
Peace and much love.


No comments:

Post a Comment