Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Enjoy the Simple

Today was a rest day, so no real workout. But there was something interesting that happened. I was again leading worship this morning, but in a completely different way. The school I was singing at had a malfunction in their sound system, so we had to do everything without a microphone or any music. Had I known, I would have brought my guitar and been prepared, but there was no way to know this was going to happen. There in front of several hundred kids, I reminded them, their parents, and myself of this fact:
"God really loves it when we get to go crazy. I like it a lot when we get to just go insane and sing really loud and dance around and be weird. The cool thing about God though is that He really enjoys it when we do that, but He also likes it when we take time to slow it down and just really focus on what we're singing to Him. God loves the simple."

I think sometimes as Christians we get caught up in the insane things we can do. We all want to sign up to go on a mission trip to Africa or to talk in front of thousands of people or play guitar in a great worship band or give up our spring break to go learn about Jesus or just do things that other people think are crazy. But how many times do we all take the time to think about God simply? Do we read our Bible or wait for the mission trip? Do we understand the songs we're singing or just get caught up in the feeling of it all? Do we pray or wait for a well-known pastor to tell us what we should hear?

God is in the crazy. Don't get me wrong. But He's here every day in the simple. I learned yesterday not to be blind to the things that God has surrounded me with. Today I learned that a lot of the things He surrounds me with are so simple, yet such a great gift.

Hearing hundreds of elementary school students singing songs to God is a huge blessing. So simple, but what a difference it made in my day.

Enjoy the crazy. Look for the simple. Find God.

 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave." (1 Kings 19:11-13a NLT)
**God was in the whisper**

Back at it tomorrow homies...
peace and much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment