Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lifting Straps Are Good Things

For the first time today, I used lifting straps. If you don't know what those are (just like I did not know), basically it's a cuff that goes around your wrist and has a strap coming off of it. You wrap this strap around whatever weight you're lifting and it helps to relieve the tension from your grip. As I've stated before, I have forearm splints that really suck. These straps help to relieve the tension off of those muscles. And they're great.

Not gonna lie, at first I was skeptical. It didn't seem these straps were good for much, but the moment I wrapped them around the bar and lifted, I could tell that so much pressure had been taken off my forearms. And when I dropped the weight, my forearms didn't surge with the stinging pain of the forearm splints. If you have any trouble with pain in your arms when you lift, I highly recommend getting some lifting straps and using them. I truly believe it will help you so much and you will be able to lift heavier weight because you will isolate the main muscle group without having to worry about injuring secondary muscle groups. It's a great thing!

Here's my excellent transition: Jesus is just like those lifting straps.

See, life gives us so many loads to carry. There is death, tragedy, trauma, sadness, depression, regret, grief, failure, inadequacy, let-downs, etc. and so many times we try to carry these things on our own. And guess what? Most of the time, we are perfectly capable of doing that. When I lifted in the gym without the straps, I was perfectly capable of lifting the weight, but at what expense?

In our lives, we really may be able to carry it on our own, but at what expense will we carry it all? Here's what I know for sure - Jesus is right there with you waiting for you to give your burdens to Him. He will pick them up for you and carry them right alongside you. You will not be alone and your burden will be light. He is waiting for you to reach out to Him.

If you noticed, I said you would have to purchase AND use the lifting straps. If all I did was own them, they wouldn't do me any good. Jesus is right there with you, but until you reach out to Him and turn over your life to Him, what good is being done for you? He's right there. Reach out. Let Him lift it for you.

"I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me.
He freed me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4 NLT)

"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." (1 Peter 5:7 NLT)

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28 NLT)

Workout:
As explained yesterday, today was a "pull" day. I did three sets of every exercise and the number of reps I did is after the "3x". (ie: 3x8 means I did 3 sets of 8 reps). The weight posted is the weight I used in the third and final set which is also the heaviest weight I lifted for each exercise.

Dead lift 3x8 - 225 pounds
Stiff leg dead lift 3x8 - 185 pounds
Power shrugs 3x8 - 135 pounds
DB rows 3x8 (each arm) - 70 pound dumbbells
Lat pull down 3x8 - 115 pounds
Reverse flys 3x8 - 15 pound dumbbells
Straight bar curls 3x8 - 85 pounds
Leg lifts 3x15

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. We are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift (Judge me. This song makes me psyched!)
2. Diamonds by Rihanna
3. Jesus in Disguise by Brandon Heath

Thanks for reading people!
Till next time, peace and much love.

P.S. Just a quiz...which one is more? 18 or 8?

No comments:

Post a Comment