Sunday, October 21, 2012

Quit Your Whining and Get Back to Work

As per a recommendation from several of my peers and training team, I took today to rest after the Tough Mudder. I thought about going to the gym to do some TRX band training, but in the end decided that I needed the full day to recover. However, tonight when I was teaching a Bible study of high school students, I was given quite the reality check.

I was talking about how sore I was from the Tough Mudder and how intense it was. Then I decided that I would show them some of the scrapes that I'd gotten. This, to me, would gain their respect as well as some sympathy for what had taken place yesterday. I started talking about how my knees were so sore and how I have tendonitis and arthritis in both of my knees. Then I told them my knees were all scraped up and proceeded to show them the scrapes on my knees. As soon as they were revealed, one student yelled out, "Stu, that's not that bad". Then another, "Yeah Stu, let me tell you about what happened to me..." Another still, "Stu, those are tiny little cuts". Basically, what they were saying to me was this, "Quit your whining and get back to work".

How dare they?!?!? They had no respect or sympathy for what had taken place. I had put myself through so much, done so much, and accomplished so much. I was beaten down, dragged around, banged, bruised, and scraped. How could they not realize what had happened? Here was my conclusion: They understood, but they were tired of hearing about it and wanted me to realize that the "injuries" I suffered were not really injuries. It wasn't that they don't respect me. It wasn't that they didn't think it was cool what I did. They just wanted me to understand that in comparison with a lot of things, I really wasn't that hurt. It was a nice reality check for me. (After all, part of the "Mudder's Creed" is this: "Mudders don't whine, kids whine".) Those students really do keep me in line.

I really believe God thinks of our conversations with Him in the same way. Think about this. How many times do you complain to God about something that you have the power to do something about, yet you never take that step to do anything about it. For me, it was feeling lonely. I was constantly complaining to God that I didn't have any friends and that I was lonely, yet I did absolutely nothing to connect myself to anyone. As a matter of fact, I did things to isolate myself more. Not any longer! I did something to change my situation and am now connected with some great people. Change your situation too. Quit complaining!

Or what about this one...you ask forgiveness for the same exact sin constantly. Then, after you ask forgiveness, you keep brining it up. There's two things wrong with this scenario. First off, God wants you to quit committing the same sins! If there's something in your life that you are constantly doing that you know is wrong, then stop it! Get some help by reaching out to someone and together let God give you the power to overcome it. Then, once you've asked forgiveness, move on. God has completely forgotten the sin and has thrown it "as far as the East is from the West" out of His mind. Move on! One of the greatest lies the Devil tells us is that God is still angry about our past. The Devil uses it to manipulate us into giving up over and over again. No more!

God does want you to be completely open and honest with Him. He wants you to tell Him exactly how you really feel - no masking of anything. But God also wants to see you happy and living the life He has planned for you. It's okay to be angry...for a while. It's okay to be sad...for a while. It's okay to be anxious...for a while. It's okay to be disappointed...for a while. It's okay to feel shame...for a (very brief) while. But none of these things should last forever or even a long time. If it continues, God's reply will be, "Quit your whining and get back to work!"

God loves you. Feel that love and really understand it. When you do, you'll complain (whine) less and live a life of freedom much more.

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you." (Philippians 2:13-15 NLT)

Training continues tomorrow.
Till then, peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment