Saturday, October 6, 2012

Looking Up

Today I got to hang out with some awesome kids. As I've talked about in a previous post, I helped direct a play for elementary and junior high school students and today was out final day of shows. It was pretty sad to see all these kids go, but they did such an amazing job. It was weird though. It seemed like kids were popping up everywhere.

In boot camp this morning we had a kid join in with us. She did so well. She used really light weights, but she even almost beat me when we were doing suicide sprint races. Then, after that, I got another workout going to my friend's house to help her sister move. Her two year old niece was there and I decided to make myself useful - not by lifting anything, but by playing with her niece the entire time.

Today's workout was awesome - as boot camp always is, and I mention all this purposefully. All the kids in the play know my goal and know what I'm working towards. And they ask me about it every time they see me. They even tell me about times they've felt really strong or really cool things they've done or how much they're eating because they know about my crazy diet. I don't meant to sound conceited when I say this, but those kids look up to me. They look up to all the leaders who have helped throughout this process. And I want them to look up to someone who is worth looking up to.

(This is me with three of the boys I was able to meet through the play. From left to right: Cole, Peter, Luke with me in the back. They all wanted to take a picture of us looking like gangsters with hats on.)

Sure, the fitness stuff is cool and it's cool to me they ask me about it and think its cool that I'm getting stronger and bigger, but that's not really what I mean. I want to be a person who is a good role model because I'm honest about mistakes I've made and I help other people avoid those same mistakes. I want the future to be better because of the mark I've made.

Don't we all want that? Live your life in a way that is worthy of being looked up to.

"Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." (1 Timothy 4:12 NLT)

Workout:
Boot Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment