Sunday, October 7, 2012

I Found Out the Real Reason Why Bane Wears a Mask

I looked like a total fool. Again, RJ was at the gym with me today. He was working on arms and legs and I was working on chest and back. It was near the end of my workout and I was absolutely exhausted. I was set up to do flies on the cable machine and was using some pretty heavy weight (100 pounds on each side). Now for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me try to explain. Basically, this machine has a cable on your left and your right and you pull those cables down or inward or up to work out different parts of your body. That's the simplest way to explain it.

It seems simple, but in order to get started, you have to grab one of the cables, then pull that cable to the other side and grab the other cable and pull it as well. The first cable isn't so bad because you can use both hands, but to get the second cable, you have to heave your entire body because only one hand is free to pull. I pulled on the cable on my right, which was a breeze. I walked over to the left and grabbed the cable. At this point, RJ walked up and started watching me. I got nervous. I wanted to be impressive, so I decided that I was going to calmly pull down the cable on my left without heaving my entire body into the motion. I grabbed the left cable and tried to pull it down, but was unable to do so. I struggled and looked like an idiot, so much to the point that RJ started walking toward me in an attempt to help me. I got angry, so I heaved my entire body and pulled the cable down on my own. At this point, I was very embarrassed and frustrated, so I pushed with all my might. This motion caused something even worse to happen.

I had just taken a drink of protein before I started the exercise, and that causes a lot of mucus to build up in your mouth and be thick with your saliva. As I pushed down, a giant glob of spit flew out of my mouth. I had gone "all out" on this exercise, which had caused me to spit everywhere. It was disgusting. I don't think anyone saw, but it was horrible. It wasn't just a little sprinkling, it was a paintball sized clump of spit. Because I had chosen to try to impress someone with the way I was doing things, I ended up more embarrassed in the end. I think this is the real reason Bane wears a mask. If you've seen the new movie, he goes all out in everything he does and destroys Batman for most of it. That probably causes him to spit a lot, and the mask catches it all. That's the real reason he wears it.

But anyways, back to my point. Because I tried to impress RJ, I ended up looking even more stupid. RJ is a good enough friend that I don't have to (nor can I) really impress him. How many times do we do this every day though?

The Christian life is not meant to be lived like everyone else. We are called to be different than the rest of the world and we look silly when we don't live that way. When we try to impress others, we end up looking more stupid in the end. If you do anything half-heartedly - including living life as a Christian - you end up looking much more silly than if you were to go all out for it. There's no need to try to impress anyone else, God's opinion is really the only one that matters. Why do we live our lives trying to make other people like us when God is the one we should be living for? When we do that, they can see right through it, and we end up looking very silly. Let's stop. Be different - in a good way.

"So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then." (1 Peter 1:14 NLT)

Workout:
Alternating chest press: 90 pound dumbbells
Bent over Row: 152.5 pounds
Cable flies incline: 100 pounds on each side
Back extension: 80 pounds
Cable flies decline: 70 pounds on each side
Weighted Shallow Grip Pull ups: 30 pound dumbbell on my waist
Fly machine: 185 pounds
Back fly machine: 135 pounds
TRX push ups: 13/12/12 (3 rounds of maximum reps)
TRX rows: 10/11/10 (3 rounds of maximum reps)

Best Songs of the Workout:
Even If by Kutless
There is Nothing Like by Hillsong United
Lay Me Down by Chris Tomlin

Peace and much love party people.

1 comment: