Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Life Flashed Before My Eyes

205 pounds might not seem like much to actual weightlifters, but to me, it's quite a bit to put on a barbell to bench press. Especially after I've already done three other sets of heavy weight on the bench press as well. Today, I made a huge mistake. I put 205 pounds (the heaviest weight I've ever completed a set with) onto the barbell and attempted to lift it without a spotter. There were people in the gym. There was no reason for me to not ask someone, but away I lifted, and thus, I almost died.

As I said, I had completed three sets of heavy weight prior to this set. And I had also completed one set with only 135 pounds (which isn't insanely light for me, but I don't consider it heavy weight). So this was my fifth overall set on the bench press. I was going for five reps. I had my pump-up music throbbing through my headphones and I was ready to lift off. I pushed up with all my might and began to rep the weight. I lowered and pushed up - 1. Lowered and pushed up - 2. Lowered and pushed up -3. Lowered and struggled a bit with the push up, but I got it - 4. I held the weight in the air, debating whether or not to continue to the fifth and final rep. I decided to go for it. I lowered the weight and pushed up with all my might, but my arms failed me. I couldn't push it any higher than slightly above my chin. At this moment, panic set in. What was only a few seconds seemed like forever as I attempted to maneuver the bar to the lowest lock point to just allow me to let the weight go. I pushed with all my might and finally was able to lock it in place, but it was way too close of a call.

When I sat up, I saw that everyone was watching me, and one man had run all the way across the gym to come and save me. As soon as I locked the weight in place, a smile of relief broke onto his face and he looked at me and said, "If you need a spotter, all you have to do is ask."

At that moment, I realized how stupid I really was.

I typically have a rule that I will not bench press heavy weight without a spotter. Today, I got cocky and decided it wasn't really that big of a deal. I was extremely blessed to not have something really bad happen, as it would have been very easy for the weight to fall on me and break a bone or choke me or hit my face or anything of the sort. 205 pounds can do a lot of damage to the human body.

I think in my scenario at the gym, there are three different types of people you can be.
1. You could be me. The one who has taken on far too much weight by himself and is about to die.
2. You can be the man who dropped what he was doing to run across the gym and help me because he saw I was in desperate need.
3. You could be one of the bystanders who saw everything that was happening, but waited for someone else to step in.

Who are you?

I don't mean just in my story, I mean in life. See, every day, we are surrounded by people who are dying. Eternally dying because they don't have the hope of Jesus or dying just because there is too much going on in their lives and they just need someone to show up and help them out in a real and tangible way. How many times do we see situations like this, but choose to be a random bystander who just waits for someone else to step in? One of the smartest things anyone ever said to me was this: "Whenever possible, be the answer to your own prayers."

What that means is that if you pray for someone to have comfort, why don't you give them comfort? If you pray for orphans, what are you doing to help them? If you pray for someone to have a hot meal, are you cooking? If you pray for someone's friendship, are you asking them to hang out? Are you being the answer to your own prayers whenever possible, or are you being a random bystander?

There is the final type of person - the one who has taken on far too much weight by himself or herself. If that's you, all you have to do is ask for a spotter. There are people all around you hoping you will reach out and ask them to support you, and they'll be right there with you every step of the way. Reach out.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ (Matthew 25:34-40 NLT)

(This is a picture of me with ice packs on my arms and shoulders post-workout. I am sore!)

Workout:
Bench: 205 pounds almost died then maxed at 240 pounds after I had completed my workout
Single arm lat cable Pull down: 60 pounds
Db incline: 85 pound dumbbells
Lawnmowers: 85 pounds
Seated back fly: 35 pound dumbbells
Decline barbell bench press: 195 pounds
Deadlift: 220 pounds
Lying pullover: 85 pound dumbbell
Weighted pull ups: 3x5 - 25 pound dumbbell attached to my waist
Weighted dips: 3x5 - 90 pound dumbbell attached to my waist

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. Promises by Sanctus Real
2. Believe by Justin Bieber
3. Even If by Kutless

Till next time Blog peeps,
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment