Friday, October 19, 2012

Tough Mudder Part 1: Jitters and Scared Out of My Mind

I've tried to not mention it or think about it because the more I do, the more afraid I get. As I've mentioned before, I am not quite the tough guy I want people to think. I am afraid of a lot of things. When people talk about their fears and what they are most afraid of, I can usually agree with most of the things they list. It's hard to do new things and go into "the unknown". Tomorrow, I will be facing the biggest "unknown" and newest thing I've ever had to do in my life. Tomorrow morning at 11:40am, I will be in Maysville, Kentucky participating in "probably the toughest event on the planet" - The Tough Mudder.

For those of you who don't know, the Tough Mudder is 12 miles of competition and obstacles that will push you to both your physical and mental boundaries. There are tubes buried underground that will test your claustrophobia, there is frigid ice water that will test your mind and body simultaneously, burning hay bales will have you coughing and trying to breathe while you run, and a 10,000 volt finish line will keep you wondering if it's worth the ending. Those are only a few of the obstacles. There are actually 21 obstacles throughout the 12 miles that will keep pushing you farther and farther, but in the end, the glory is worth it all.

For me to say I have completed the event will be one of the coolest things of my life, but I can't deny it...every moment, I get more and more afraid. At the same time, I'm very excited. I will be with friends of mine and we will all be in it together. When we do this, it will be as a team and we will all be able to say that we did it. Being able to say that is enough for me.

Our lives are filled with much more than 12 miles and 21 obstacles. There's so much coming at us all the time. But I do know two things:
1. God never wants us to be afraid.
2. God will be right beside us every step of the way.

There would honestly be no way for me to complete this event by myself. Luckily, I don't have to. I will have my friends (one of my best friends - Mitch) right there with me. We will make it through together. And when we do, it will be great. Just like Mitch, God is right beside us every step of the way, through every obstacle, and through every fear.

(Here's the text I sent to my bosses about my participation in the Tough Mudder)

If you're afraid, give your fears up to God. If you're facing a tough obstacle, reach out for Him to get through it with you. He won't disappoint you. God is way bigger than the Tough Mudder or anything else we could ever face.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:7 NLT)

Workout:
Workout details are the same as yesterday.

Dead lift 3x8 - 205 pounds
Stiff leg dead lift 3x8 - 165 pounds
Power shrugs 3x8 - 120 pounds
DB rows 3x8 (each arm) - 65 pound dumbbell
Lat pull down 3x8 - 105 pounds
Reverse flys 3x8 - 15 pound dumbbells
Dumbbell curls 3x8 - 40 pound dumbbells
Leg lifts 3x15

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift (I JAMMED to this song today!)
2. Light It Up by For King and Country
3. This Song Saved My Life by Simple Plan

Please be praying for me as I face the Tough Mudder. Tomorrow, I will post and let you know how it went!!!
Till then, peace and much love...

No comments:

Post a Comment