Thursday, October 4, 2012

Stick Point

Frustrated to say the least. Today at the gym, I was doing a normal bench press, and again it conquered me. Today's goal was to press 210 pounds for 5 reps, and I just couldn't make it happen. See, there's a concept called the "stick point" or the "failure point". This is the point during your lift where you can't lift the bar any higher. Another way of looking at it is this: when a spotter is spotting you, there's typically one point in the lift where they have to help. This "point" usually stays the same, no matter what weight your lifting. There is just a point that "sticks" and doesn't allow you to push any further up. Today, my stick point really made me angry.

My lifts were going great, but I just couldn't push past the stick point with the heavier weight. I swallowed my pride and lowered the weight on the bar so I could get in my full reps for the exercise, but it was very frustrating. However, I didn't give up. I decided to conquer my stick point.

There is an exercise my friend RJ showed me that helps push beyond the stick point. All you do is emphasize it. You lay on a bench and lock in some bars above you so that you actually can't lift a barbell higher than your stick point. Then, using just the bar, you push up on those bars as hard as you can, holding the weight at your stick point, pushing like this for 30 seconds. What this does is help the body to remember the point as well as let the body work on pushing beyond that point. When the hardest place you push is where you're sticking, you're bound to get stronger in that point. For those of you who don't understand any of what I just said, there's a picture below of me doing that exercise.

I don't know about you, but I definitely have some "stick points" in my life. There have been things that I just don't feel like I can get over. Things that just seem too big for anyone - especially me - to conquer. Don't let these things make you give up! Don't let them take your courage to fight! Focus on them and conquer them.

God says He will never leave or forsake us and He will never give us anything more than we can handle. What great promises!!!

When life gives you a "stick point", don't give up. Go back and face it head on. Ask God for strength and guidance and He will surely send it right where you need it. You can conquer the "stick points". Just focus on them and keep pushing through.

Workout:
Bench: 6 rounds. On the fifth round, I got 3 lifts of 210 pounds. For the 6th round, I lifted 205 for 3 more lifts.
Single arm lat cable pull down: 55 pounds
Dumbbell incline: 85 pound dumbbells
Row: 165 pounds
Seated back fly: 35 pound dumbbells
Decline barbell bench press: 175 pounds
Deadlift: 215 pounds
Lying pullover: 85 pound dumbbell
TRX push-ups: 3 rounds of maximum reps - 9/10/10
TRX flies: 3 rounds of maximum reps - 9/8/8

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. White Flag by Chris Tomlin
2. Men in Black by Forever the Sickest Kids
3. Believe by Justin Bieber

Till next time...
Peace and much love

No comments:

Post a Comment