Saturday, November 10, 2012

Taking the Easy Way Out

Boot camp this morning was great. Kathy was back, the workout was intense, and it felt good to sweat as bad as I did. None of those things were the best part though. The best part was just getting to see everybody. When you're around people - especially the kinds of people who are in boot camp - you get pushed to new limits. You do things you never thought you could do all because they're watching you. That's exactly how this morning was.

We were running a trail and had to take another lap. There are two routes you can take while running. There's a long route that goes all the way around the gym and there's a back way that makes a shortcut behind the gym. We were running and I was in the lead, so I got to choose which way to go. Some of my classmates yelled, "Stu, take the short route". We were all exhausted and ready to be finished running, so that idea sounded great to me. Just when I was about to make the turn and go the short way, a classmate yelled out, "Don't you dare take the short route, Stu!" I was conflicted. Majority had said to take the short route, but I didn't want to be the reason our workout wasn't as good as it could have been. I didn't want everyone to say, "We only went on the short route because Stu led us that way". I did what I knew I had to do and took the long route all the way around the building.

Because of my choice, I was criticized a little bit. There were some of my fellow boot campers who groaned and made fun of me for taking the long route, but in the end I, along with everyone else, know that taking the long route was the better choice. Had we all been alone, we probably would have taken the easier, shorter route. Not together. Together, we pushed each-other, and because of the people I was surrounded by, I was pushed in a positive way.

There are many times in your life where you will be the leader. You will have the opportunity to push people to their potential or let them take the easy way out. There will also be times where you have to choose who you will follow. Will you follow someone who is leading you in a direction you know you shouldn't go? Are you leading people in a positive direction?

(Here's a picture we took today during boot camp. Some people had already left by this point, and I'm very sad we didn't get everyone because they all mean a lot to me, but this shows some of the characters I'm with every Saturday morning.)

In my life, there are people who push me physically and guide me in that way. I also have some great friends who push and guide me with just regular life. I just wanted to give a thanks to Mitch, RJ, Jacob, Tyler, Austin and Derek for being there for me in all my physical journeys as well as my regular life. I wouldn't be who I am without you all.

There's lots of leaders, but very few worth following. Be one of the few. Follow the few.

"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble." (Proverbs 13:20 NLT)

Thanks to all of you for the amazing support you show by reading this blog. You push me and help me to become more than I ever thought I could be. 

Till next time, 
peace and much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment