Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Nocturnal Boot Camp

Usually Wednesday is my off day, but today was a special circumstance. Due to the fact that I didn't have work at all today, I decided to go to the gym so I wasn't just sitting around being a bum. Tonight there was a class taught by Kathy, my boot camp instructor, because the normal instructor couldn't make it. I was excited to be with some of my friends from boot camp and ready to go for it. That is, until class actually started.

We began by jump roping, and all was going well. I felt great because I hadn't completely wasted my day. But as class got into about the fifteen minute mark, all of my and my classmates' energy began to dwindle. We began talking about how it was so different to exercise at night than it was on Saturday mornings. Our bodies were used to resting at this time, so it was really weird for us to be exerting ourselves. I was sweating harder than I have sweat in a long time. Several of my friends in the class were also talking about how they just felt completely exhausted because of the night time. We had a great workout, but it was really tough for us to push through all the exhaustion. One thing Kathy said stuck out to me though.

She said, "It's tough, but it's great for your body to change it up like this."

See, what I had to learn is that you do need to switch up your routine every once in a while. If you continue doing the exact same things for too long, your body acclimates to it all and won't change or grow the way you want it to. Forcing your body to do different things at different times will really make a difference.

When it comes to worshipping God and getting close to Him, the same thing happens. A lot of times, we allow ourselves to slip into a routine that makes us desensitized to the amazing things He is trying to teach us. If you're in a great routine and learning and growing, maybe it's not time for you to change just yet. But if there are times where you're feeling stale and bored, switch it up! Your soul will change and grow in new and exciting ways. Maybe it's time to increase your prayer life or study a little more. Maybe a change in your time of day or the way you drive to work could really do you some good in your relationship with God. Whatever it is, don't hesitate! You don't want to quit growing.

God is a God who never changes amidst a world that never stays the same. If you need to change your methods, do it; but remember that God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. What you learn and how you learn it may be different, but it's amazing that God has not changed a bit.

He's waiting to teach you. Just show up ready to learn.

"Sing a new song to the Lord!
    Let the whole earth sing to the Lord!" (Psalm 96:1 NLT Emphasis added)

Workout:
Boot camp at night time

Till next time homies,
Peace and much love!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Becoming: I have a suggestion for a workout song. EYE OF THE TIger. Best motivational exercise song ever. I know what I'm talking about because sometimes I walk around the block. I hope I get selected and mentioned on your blog! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete