Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Science and Religion: The Great Debate

Tonight I shared with my youth group all about how the mind works and how sounds cause our brains to react in certain ways. I think probably the coolest thing is that God designed us in a very specific way. We are not accidents. There are so many people who say that religion and science can't mix. I completely disagree. I believe they have to mix because God made us a certain way. Understanding the science of ourselves is absolutely fascinating, and then when I pair that with the idea that God made us that way (scientifically) for a specific reason, my mind is blown.

Every day at the gym, I think about that same thing. It is amazing to me that God designed our bodies to tear apart, maintain composure under stress, and rebuild. Every time I lift a weight or pull a cable or run or jump or bike, it is all because God has designed me to do so. The Bible tells us three things that I think are related to all these thoughts:
1. The Bible tells us we are made in God's own image.
2. The Bible tells us that whatever we say or do that we should do it all for the glory of God.
3. The Bible also says that since the beginning of time, God's qualities have been revealed to us in everything we see.

When we look at ourselves and all of the amazing things the human body is capable of, how could we ever doubt that God put us together? I think it's hard to say there's not at least some power higher than us that did it all. I do believe that the Christian God is responsible for it all. He made us in such a way that we cannot deny Him when we truly examine ourselves.

Take time today and reflect on how amazing God is for putting us together the way He did.

If you have the time, listen to the song below while you read the following Bible passages. The song is Yiruma's "A River Flows In You" performed by my friend, Jeremiah Hines. It's one of the songs I used tonight to talk with my youth group about the way God uses music in our lives. Listen, read, and reflect on how awesome our God really is. 

"So God created human beings in his own image.
    In the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them." (Genesis 1:27 NLT)

"And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." (Colossians 3:17 NLT)

"For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God." (Romans 1:20 NLT)

Till next time, 
Peace and much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment