Saturday, December 1, 2012

Burpees Suck

I'm gonna cut right to the chase today. Burpees suck. These horrible exercises are also called "Up-Downs". Let me try to explain what you do in a burpee.

You begin by standing normally. Then, you throw your arms in the air as you jump. When you land, you bend forward, touch the ground and kick your feet back so you are in a plank or push-up position. You do a push-up, jump your feet in and stand back up straight. That counts as one burpee. This exercise, while extremely beneficial, is the most excruciating move known to man.

I hate burpees.

This morning in boot camp class, Kathy announced that it was time for us to do burpees. She looked at one of my fellow classmates and asked how many she thought we should do. My classmate pondered for a second and then said, "Two sets of twenty." I immediately burst out in laughter and began shouting, "We are not doing that. I don't care what anyone says, we are not doing twenty burpees in a row." I wasn't being mean. The thought of it all just caused my min to finally snap, burst out in laughter, and have my little outburst. Kathy opted for. 4 sets of 10.

Man, those things suck. But the benefits are countless. Your heart gets pumping as if you'd run a mile. Your entire body is used for every single rep. Cardio and strength training are combined all at once to give you an amazing workout. And I've got to say, though I hate burpees, I hate them less and can do more now because we do them every week.

As a Christian, there are certain things we need to do. Some of these things may seem painstaking, but they're worth it. Reading your Bible, praying, going to church, being held accountable, etc. are all things we need to do and sometimes, it's just difficult. A lot of times we don't want to make time or we feel it's useless or boring. But what I can guarantee you is that it's worth it. The benefits are countless. And the more you do those things and see the results, the more you'll enjoy them over time.

Give it a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

"A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity — all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved." (Acts 2:43-47 NLT)

Till next time,
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment