Friday, December 7, 2012

The Christmas Volcano

Today in the gym was a really cool day for me. There were some guys there who had only been coming for a few weeks and they said they wanted to put on muscle. After one of the fitness staff talked to them, I walked over and talked to them also. We discussed the gym and different programs and plans. At the end of it all, I said, "Have you talked to a trainer?" They informed me that they had made an appointment for this coming Monday. I said, "That's great. They will really help you out a lot. Especially because everyone is different. What works for me might not work for you." They nodded in agreement, but it got me thinking about how all of our bodies are totally different. The reason a lot of weight lifting programs don't work for certain people is because the program was never designed for that person. The program was designed for a specific person with a specific body type. But isn't it so cool that we are all different?

Fast forward to later in the day. I had a cookie decorating party with my students from church. (I don't think I'll ever be intimidating. I have cookie decorating parties, I teach an elementary drama class, and I'm a Belieber.) The party was so much fun though. We all had a contest to see who could make the best cookie. I took my entries out of the competition because I was the judge and decided that wouldn't be fair, but my best cookie was a 3D Christmas tree cookie. One of my students, John, saw me making mine and decided to copy it, but with his own twist. John didn't make a Christmas tree, instead he made a Christmas volcano.

(This is a picture of me and John holding our wonderful cookie creations (left), the 3D cookie Christmas Tree (top right), and the 3D cookie Christmas Volcano (bottom right)

Most of us, when we think of Christmas don't think of volcanoes, and to be honest, John doesn't think of volcanoes when he thinks of Christmas either. But he took the same idea and used it in a different way. Just like how all of our bodies may be made up of the same parts, but are used and affected in different ways. John took the basic idea of my tree cookie and made it something of his own.

What amazes me is that God does the same with all of us. He tells all of us that our job is to "go and make disciples of all nations", but all of us do that in different ways. Some of us are great servants, others are great encouragers, teachers, speakers, leaders, or learners - and so many more great gifts! But the great thing is that all these gifts come from the same God. He made all of them. Also, He made all of us. And He made each of us special. From our physical bodies to our souls we are all completely unique. So what's the point? Basically, it comes down to this - don't live trying to be like another person here on earth. Why? Because you were never made to be them! You were made to be you.

Just like the VeggieTales (John's favorite show) say, "God made you special and He loves you very much!"

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:13-14a NLT)


Workout:
All exercises 4x12
Clean pulls - 160 pounds
SLDL - 160 pounds superset with close grip pull down - 105 pounds
Power shrugs - 145 pounds
Dumbbell shrugs - 100 pound dumbbells
One arm seated rows(overhand) - 55 pounds superset with reverse flys - 20 pound dumbbells
One arm seated rows (underhand) - 50 pounds

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. Listen to the Sound by Building 429
2. One Day by Matisyahu
3. Girls Just Want to Have Fun cover by The Maine

Till next time homies,
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment