Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pregnant Women Are Terrifying

Tonight at church I launched a Christmas series with my students. We're talking about things that could have gone wrong with the original Christmas story, but how God worked it all out. One of the things that could have gone wrong is that angels are terrifying. So Mary could have just said, "No" when an angel appeared to her because she was too afraid of the angel. To illustrate this point, I showed a picture of the Orcs from The Lord of the Rings. I explained to my students that angels are not people with wings. They are terrifying beings who are God's army. Nearly every time they appeared to someone, they had to say, "Do not be afraid". Why? Because they're freaky!

(This is the picture I showed my students of the Orcs from The Lord of the Rings.)

After I got finished speaking, one of my leaders approached me and had a question concerning what I had said about the angels. Let me back track a bit though. This leader is pregnant and pregnant women freak me out. It's not that I'm afraid they're going to hit me or yell at me, it's just that I'm afraid at how to treat them differently because they're pregnant. It's a difficult balance for me. This particular leader makes fun of me because she knows I'm afraid of pregnant women. Anyways, back on track here. She was telling me that angels could be terrifying without being ugly. I agreed with her. Then, she said, "Imagine if a big person," she motioned with her hands to show she meant muscles, not fat, "walked up to you. They might have to tell you to not be afraid." Immediately, I said, "Like me? Usually when I walk up to people now I have to tell them to not be afraid. My opening line when I walk in any room is, 'Don't be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy'." We had a chuckle and then the conversation ended. But it really did make me think. What would I do if an angel appeared to me?

I think it's amazing that God wants to be our friend. He loves us so deeply and so personally that we will never be able to comprehend it this side of Heaven. He hurts when we hurt, He walks with us through tough times, He comforts us, and He laughs with us too. He can be our best friend if we let Him and He does want to be that. However, we cannot forget that God is also God. He is the King and the Judge. While He holds us all in His hands, He also has the power to crush us all. In just seven days, He created the earth and with one breath, could wipe it all away. God is our friend - our best friend. But He is also to be feared. If His angels had to say, "Don't be afraid", imagine what God is like. What's amazing though is that's what Christmas is all about.

God gave up His royal place in Heaven and stepped down into flesh. He became one of us and hung out with all kinds of people - royalty, priests, tax collectors, and all types of sinners. See, this Christmas season, we need to remember that the God to be feared became a little baby so that He can be our friend. How amazing is that? God stepped down and said, "Look, I am God. And yes, know what my power can do, but also know that I love you more than you can imagine. I want to be your friend."

See, I want to walk into a room and terrify people. I want to show up and have to say, "Do not be afraid." I want to be scary. God did just the opposite. He showed up as the weakest of all people - a baby - and proved to us that He wants to be our friend. Yes, He is King and His power should fill us with awe, but isn't it great to know the King of the universe is our friend?


"That night there were shepherds staying in the fields nearby, guarding their flocks of sheep.Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord’s glory surrounded them. They were terrified, but the angel reassured them. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David! And you will recognize him by this sign: You will find a baby wrapped snugly in strips of cloth, lying in a manger.”...They hurried to the village and found Mary and Joseph. And there was the baby, lying in the manger. After seeing him, the shepherds told everyone what had happened and what the angel had said to them about this child. All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished, but Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often. The shepherds went back to their flocks, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen. It was just as the angel had told them." (Luke 2:8-12, 16-20 NLT)


Till next time homies,
Don't be afraid.
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment