Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Queasy

If you read yesterday's post, you know that I've been getting hurt a little more frequently at the gym lately. That doesn't mean I'm getting seriously injured or that things are going terribly wrong, but I've been getting a little more banged up than usual. Today at the gym was slightly different. Though I didn't get physically hurt, I thought something was seriously wrong with me.

RJ and I were doing a move which I have now named the Dragon Milker. (If you'd like to know the story on this name, keep reading in these parentheses. If not, go ahead and skip to after the parentheses. Really, all we were doing was a dumbbell overhead shoulder press alternating back and forth between our right and left hands. I told RJ it made me feel like I was milking a giant cow. Then, using the line from Meet the Parents, I said, "You can milk anything with nipples." RJ then looked at me without missing a beat and said, "Except a dragon. Just imagine trying to milk a dragon." From that moment forward, I have deemed the dumbbell overhead shoulder press "Dragon Milkers".) While we were doing the exercise, a terrible pain came into my stomach. It was so bad that I actually had trouble standing to do the exercise. I had to sit down between sets and I thought I had done something seriously wrong. I thought through my workout and remembered that I had leg pressed 650 pounds earlier. Had I caused a hernia? Also, I have been eating a lot of protein. Had all of the protein built up and caused kidney stones? All I knew for sure was that I was in a lot of pain and it didn't make a whole lot of sense.

The pain would surge and then go away and then return and repeat that cycle several times. I didn't know what was happening. The pain was so bad, that I literally could not stand up straight. I had to always be slightly bent or the pain would be too overwhelming. RJ and I finally finished our shoulder exercises and that's when I decided something needed to happen to help me take care of the pain. After thinking of several different plans of action, it hit me.

'Maybe I just need to poop.'

What a strange, but effective thought that was. I went to the bathroom and pushed with all my might. Finally, after the business was attended to, I stood up, washed my hands, and walked back down to the weight room where I was able to finish my workout pain-free. My mind had immediately gone to the worst case scenario. I was scared and freaking myself out much more than was necessary. In the end, it was something simple and easily taken care of.

Aren't our spiritual lives a lot like that? When something goes wrong, don't we immediately jump to the worst case scenario? We automatically assume that God has abandoned us or that He doesn't exist. We feel unloved and typically begin a steady decline in our faith. It should not be this way! There are three things I know about tough situations:
1. God hurts when we hurt.
2. We are never alone.
3. We should accept whatever God gives us because He (not us) knows what's best.

When you're going through tough times, never assume the worst. Know that God loves you, He will never leave you, and His purposes are so much greater than ours. What might seem catastrophic to you is just a little turd to God. He knows what's best, and He'll always help you through.

Rely on Him and know He's the most dependable friend we can rely on - even when poop hits us.

"But Job replied, “You talk like a foolish woman. Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?” So in all this, Job said nothing wrong." (Job 2:10 NLT)

"Dear brothers and sisters,[a] when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." (James 1:2-4 NLT)

“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
    “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so my ways are higher than your ways
    and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9 NLT)


Workout:

Leg Press - 630 pounds 3x12 with one set of 12 reps of 650 pounds
Calf Raises - 360 pounds 4x12
Seated leg curl - 150 pounds 4x8
Seated leg extension - 180 pounds 4x8
Shoulder plate alphabet - 35 pound plate
Dragon Milkers - 45 pound dumbbells 4x12
Dumbbell front raises - 25 pound dumbbells
Dumbbell side raises - 30 pound dumbbells
Plate overhead lunges - 45 pound plate with 24 steps uphill

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. I'd Hate to Be You When People Find Out What This Song is About by Mayday Parade
2. Middle of Your Heart by For King & Country
3. **This song is too embarrassing to mention. I will post Bieber and other various artists for people to make fun of me for, but I will not be releasing the name or artist of this song. It would tear away what little pride I have left.**

Till next time homies,
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment