Friday, December 14, 2012

Concerts and Chaos

Today was a great day for me, but sad for so many in our country. I'll start by recalling the events that took place this morning in Connecticut.

At around 9:30 this morning, a man entered an elementary school and began to open fire. At the end of the rampage, the man was dead along with many students and staff of the school. My deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of all those lost in the tragedy as well as those who were traumatized by the events that took place. Today is a day that scares me to think about being a dad one day. And I'm so sorry for those who lost their babies in this awful event.

Now, let me tell you about what I did this evening and how it relates to this awful tragedy.

Tonight was a good event for me though. I attended The Family Force 5 Christmas Pageant with two of my students and several of my friends. Not only was Fanily Force 5 playing, but another one of my favorite bands, Rapture Ruckus, was also there.

If you've never checked out Rapture Ruckus, you need to! Their songs are absolutely amazing. To me, they're so inspiring because a lot of them talk about hope in terrible situations. The lead singer of Rapture Ruckus shared his testimony this evening at their amazing show. He said he used to be deep in the throws of drug addiction and it was only through God's grace finding Jesus that he is able to even be alive today to share his music. Maybe that's why their music means so much - because it's real. When he sings about hope, it's not a "canned" product. He lived it, believes it, and truly feels that there is hope in every situation.


[That's me and Brad - the lead singer of Rapture Ruckus (top left), Brad rocking out during their song 'Tonight' (top right), and the end of their concert (bottom)]

There are three ways the awful tragedy this morning and the concert I went to tonight are interconnected:

1. This blog is entitled "Becoming Bane", but tonight while I was with my students, I was thinking through what I would do if anyone ever tried to harm them. I would throw myself in front of anything to protect them - just like many of the staff at that school did. As Christians, we are called to protect those who cannot protect themselves and while I may be trying to look like Bane, I will destroy anyone who tries to harm a child.

2. I know that when we cry, God cries with us. And when we rejoice, God rejoices with us. For those of you who have reasons to rejoice, God is rejoicing with you - just like we did at the concert tonight. And to those families who lost someone or who were affected by the events this morning, God is with you and He's mourning and crying right there with you.

3. If there's anything I know, there is always hope. No matter what you've ever faced, are facing, or ever will face, there is hope. Please believe that. Never let anyone tell you your situation is hopeless or you are lost without a cause. God will never give up on you or your situation. Let Him be there with you.

I can't explain why bad things happen, and I can't explain why God also allows some good things to happen to some people and bad things to happen to others, but I do know He loves you. I do know there's hope. Let Him give it to you.

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NLT)

Till next time,
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment