Saturday, September 15, 2012

Step 1

So I'm not a huge person. If you don't know me, my name is Stu Perry and I'm a youth minister. (If you'd like to know more about that side of my life, visit www.biggodlittlestu.tk ) But while I may not be physically huge, I am a HUGE, larger than life even, Batman fan. I've been a fan of him since I can remember.

When I was younger, I would go to a theme park where there was a Batman stunt show. I would nearly cry from excitement every time he took the stage, chasing the joker through flames and on his dirt bike. Watching him fly through the air, I just knew I wanted to be him, so I started having friends refer to me as Stunt Stu.

Now, 12 years later and still obsessed, I work part-time at a foster care where I was given the biggest compliment when a resident told me I reminded him of Batman. I will always remember that day. Out of the blue he walked up to me and said, "Mr. Stu, you know who you remind me of?" I thought he was going to make a rude comment, but he paused and said, "Batman". At that moment, I knew I was where I was supposed to be. Now, all of the residents who know me call me Batman. It's the greatest compliment to get every time I work.

So why become the villain when you're the hero?

Simple...Bane is much bigger and more intimidating than Batman. I'm already Batman, now it's time to try my hand at being Bane.

Two years ago I began a fitness journey. I weighed 250 pounds and 30% of that was fat. Within one year, after a ton of sweat and all of my friends rallying around me, I lost 80 pounds and was down to 7% body far. There was a problem though. I looked a little sickly. So I decided to bulk up a bit. I went through and completed P90X, which added 15 pounds of muscle to me. After all of that, I am proud to say that today I sit at a comfortable 180 pounds and around 10% body fat. (I don't check my fat content as much now because trainers at the gym warned against it as I was becoming obsessed and depressed whenever I would have a minor disappointment.)

But now, after everything, I decided it's time to get huge. I got skinny, which was cool. Then I got to the point where I can withstand any amount of cardio, and that was fun. After that, I learned how to really train my muscles and got quite fit and cut. So my next venture is to explode with muscle, just like Bane from Batman The Dark Knight Rises.

So today, I'm taking step one in my process. It's really the same step one I take to achieve any goal...set the goal. I want it to be clearly defined, so here it is:
By January 2013, I will look as much as possible like Bane from Batman The Dark Knight Rises, but I will not use steroids.

That's the goal here people. It's going to be tough, and there are days where I'm sure I will want to quit, but I will not give in. By January, you will see a completely different me.

So keep on checking back in. We can learn together different "tricks of the trade" to gaining muscle and making it look right on our bodies. I'm by noeans an expert, so this is a journey we can take together. I hope you'll join me as I am "Becoming Bane".

Till next time,
Peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment