Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rest

I went on a run today and I absolutely sucked. It's the day after legs day, and that was just terrible planning on my part. I was trying to pick up speed and I just couldn't do it. My legs were aching and my body is just tired. I was a bit bummed that I didn't do too well today, I'm not gonna lie about that, but it caused me to think about something that's been weighing heavily on my mind.

People need to rest.

In our society today, we are always going. We're going to work, going to dinner, going to practice, going to school, going to rehearsal, going to church, going to hang out, going, going, going. And I'm not saying that going to any of those places/things is necessarily wrong. But we HAVE to rest.

What I've found in my life is that the times that I am least satisfied with myself are the times where I keep on going. I have to sit and think and be alone. If I can't do that, it means I have a serious problem I don't want to think about, so I stay "going".

That's not how we were designed to be. God says this, "Be still and know I am God." (Psalm 46:10). One of my favorite people in the entire world is my pastor, Buddy Howard. He says that one of the best ways to find out what the Bible is saying is to think about what it doesn't say.

This verse DOESN'T say:
Go be in a worship band and know that I am God.
Go on a mission trip and know that I am God.
Go be around all your friends and know that I am God.
Go (fill in the blank) and know that I am God.

This verse says BE STILL: STOP GOING! And know that I am God.

My day of rest from lifting was great for my body. It needs time to recover. I hope you'll take time for a day of rest today as well and recover from all the going we've been doing.

Workout:
2 mile run
8 tabata sprints (20 seconds on/10 off)

Best Workout Songs of the Day:
I didn't use music today. Check back tomorrow to see if your song pumped me up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment