Thursday, September 27, 2012

Never Back Down

So I went to the gym three times today. Two times were planned, once was out of anger. This morning I went to a cardio cycling class taught by Jill at the YMCA again. It is one of my favorite classes (and I recommend it HIGHLY to anyone who is looking to up their cardio!!!) It was a blast. I then ran a few errands and afterwards returned to the gym to do my workout.

I was feeling so hyped, doing great, an even texted one of my friends (Jesse) and told him that today was gonna be a heavy dancing day at the gym. I walked down to the weights and started warming up and dancing and lifting when I realized something terrible...I was doing really poorly at bench press today.

It was my first chest exercise. There was no reason for fatigue or exhaustion whatsoever. I just couldn't lift the bar. I had Toni (the awesome trainer at the YMCA who I've mentioned before) spot me. I just couldn't seem to lift the weight. It sucked. It was an absolutely awful feeling. I finished my workout, going up in weight for every single exercise - except bench press. It didn't make sense. It couldn't be this way!

Now I know this isn't very "Bane" of me, but I teach a drama class for 6-8 year old kids on Thursdays. I went and taught the class, but the entire time, I couldn't get out of my head that I had failed on the bench press. Right after class, I returned to the gym to settle the score with that barbell.

I got hyped. My friends Joseph and RJ were there and they commented on how hard I was dancing. It was time to lift the weight. I put 205 on the bar, and I pushed with all my might. I had my best song in the best moment of the song pumping through my headphones. I was able to get the weight for my 5 reps.

I was so psyched. All of my anger turned to joy and I couldn't stop smiling and dancing for the rest of the time I was at the gym.

I didn't give up. Now, I'm not saying this is a good thing. It actually proves how stubborn I am. But the results remain the same. Because I didn't give up, I was able to grow and do what I'd never done before.

A lot of times, our lives are filled with things and situations that make us want to give up. We get frustrated with God and decide that this lifestyle is no longer for us. Don't let it be that way! God will never give up on you, so please don't be the one to give up on Him. Keep pushing through the hard times and realize you're not alone. He's right there with you, carrying you through it all. Be strong and know that you have the same power that conquered the grave living inside you. Never give up. Never back down.

"The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you." (Romans 8:11 NLT)

Workout:
Bench: 205 pounds
Pull down: 130 pounds
Db incline: 80 pound dumbbells
Row: 160 pounds
Seated back fly: 35 pound dumbbells
Db decline: 80 pound dumbbells
Deadlift: 210 pounds
Lying pullover: 80 pound dumbbell
TRX push-ups: 4x5 1x9 (feet elevated)
TRX rows: 4x5 1x10 (feet elevated)

Best Songs of the Workout:
1. Great I Am by New Life Worship
2. As Long As You Love Me by Justin Bieber
3. If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback

Thanks so much everyone for reading!
Till next time, peace and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment