Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Head-locked

Today was my second day of class, and it was just as cool as the first. Already, I feel like we've learned so much. Now, I don't yet have my wrestling license, so I'm not able to do as much as some of the other students in the class, but I'm trying to learn everything I can and be the absolute best I can be. It's tough. This is definitely the most intense thing I've ever tried to do in any sense.

My body is sore and gets pushed harder and harder. To those who say professional wrestling is "fake", I try to correct them and say that it's "well-choreographed". That's because there really are a lot of things that hurt in real life. Sure, it's all about selling the moment, but it can cause serious harm and my body is being pushed harder and harder with every sequential class.

[This is my instructor, Nick Dinsmore (WWE's Eugene). In the top left, he has me in a headlock about to pop my head off. In the bottom right, we are just hanging out after a good class.]

Here's what I know for sure though: When I feel like giving up, I can always go more. There are some things in class that really are extremely difficult. There are times when I watch things I will be doing and don't think it's even possible for me to try, but then I remember that nothing is impossible and every time I've given up in the past, I've regretted it. I don't want this experience to be like that. 

Our spiritual lives are the same way. We can feel like we are being pushed farther and farther - and we are! Why? Because God wants us to grow. My instructor for professional wrestling is Nick Dinsmore (WWE's Eugene) and he pushes all of us in the class to do our absolute best. He doesn't ask more of us than what our best is, but he does expect that we give it our all. If not, why even be there?

God is the same way. He expects our best. He doesn't expect more, but if you're not going to give your best to Him, then why even bother? But God knows our best, not us. So when you feel like you're being pushed to be better, you probably are. God never wants you to settle, but always strive to make your best better and keep learning from Him and drawing closer to Him. 

Don't give up. Don't give in. Keep pushing yourself and give your absolute best. Then, next time, you can be pushed a little farther. Over time, you will become more and more of who God wants you to be. 

"So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." (1 Peter 1:6-7 NLT)

I'll be back next Tuesday night. 
Till then homies, 
Peace and much love!

1 comment: